Delhi, Dec. 20 – As part of IISF – India International Science Festival, the International Science Film Festival of India (ISFFI) seeks to promote science popularization among citizens and aims at attracting talented young science filmmakers and science enthusiasts. Science film is an effective tool for science communication to foster and create an excitement of science amongst people at large; it also helps inculcate a scientific temper among the audience thereby shaping the analytical thinking, a prerequisite for the inclusive development of the nation.
The ISFFI offers an opportunity for students and other participants to get involved with the process of science film-making and improve their understanding of various feats in science and technology. The initiative recognizes the effort and contribution of film producers in the specialized areas of science and technology and motivates them to develop this unique profession of science film making with innovative quality content especially relevant to our country.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and as per Govt of India guidelines, this year the ISFFI 2020 is to be organised in a virtual environment from December 22nd to 25, 2020.
This year record 632 science documentaries, short films, animation videos have been received from 60 countries. Internationally acclaimed and awards winning foreign and Indian films on science, health and environment were screened via online platform. A competition for Indian and International professional and student film- makers has been organised.
Competitive categories’ themes & awards
The entries were mainly divided in the following themes and sub themes:
(i) Awards for the International category
- Best of Festival Award on the theme “Science for self-reliant India and/or Science for global welfare” – Trophy and Certificate.
- Best of Festival Award in the theme “Science and awareness on COVID-19 and other health emergencies” – Trophy and Certificate.
- Jury Awards (2 nos.) – Trophy and Certificate.
(ii) Awards for Indian nationals’ categories
A. Independent filmmakers (Indian nationals)
- Best of Festival Award on the theme “Science for self-reliant India and/or Science for global welfare” – Rs 1,00,000/- Cash, Trophy and Certificate.
- Best of Festival Award in the theme “Science and awareness on COVID-19 and other health emergencies” – Rs1,00,000/- Cash, Trophy and Certificate.
- Jury Awards (2 nos.) – Rs.50,000/- Cash, Trophy and Certificate (each).
B. College/school students (Indian nationals)
- Best of Festival Award on the theme “Science for self-reliant India and/or Science for global welfare” – Rs 75,000/- Cash, Trophy and Certificate.
- Best of Festival Award on the theme Science and awareness on COVID-19 and other health emergencies – Rs 75,000/- Cash, Trophy and Certificate.
- Jury Awards (2 nos.) – Rs 35,000/- Cash, Trophy and Certificate (each).
a. Films (only for screening) – there is no duration limit for the non-competitive section.
b. The theme for non-competitive categories: Science, Technology, Environment & Health.
The submission process ended on 10th December 2020.
A total 632 competitive and non-competitive entries have been received from 60 countries around the globe:
Total Submissions by Country/Location
|S.No.||Countries||No. of films received|
|2.||Iran, Islamic Republic of||91|
|18.||Korea, Republic of||4|
|30.||Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of||2|
|40.||Bolivia, Plurinational State of||1|
|49.||Moldova, Republic of||1|
|58.||United Arab Emirates||1|
Non-Competitive Category: 75 submission from 23 countries including India.
These nominated films will be screened from 22nd to 25th December 2020 on Vigyan Prasar’s YouTube channel and India Science Festival channel.
Panel Discussion and Master Classes
Panel discussions on various aspects to promote science films’ culture were organised with the noted science filmmakers from Switzerland, Israel, Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, Taiwan and other countries.Master Classes on creative and technical aspects of science filmmaking were conducted by senior science filmmakers.